The Sandbox is a virtual world where players can build, own and monetize their gaming experiences.
What is The Sandbox?
- The Sandbox is best known for its two smash mobile hits, The Sandbox (2011) and The Sandbox Evolution (2016), which combined generated 40 million downloads across iOS and Android. In 2018, developer/Publisher, Pixowl decided to bring this successful User Generated Content gaming IP and large community of creators from mobile to the blockchain ecosystem.
- The Sandbox is a virtual world where players can build, own and monetize their gaming experiences in the Ethereum blockchain using SAND token. Players can create digital assets in the form of Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs), upload them to the marketplace and integrate them into games with Game Maker.
- Players also reward their participation with SAND tokens. SAND is an ERC-20 utility token that is used for all of the ecosystem’s transactions and interactions such as transaction fees, staking or buying and selling game items etc.
|Token Name||The Sandbox|
|Total Token Supply||3,000,000,000 SAND|
|Current Circulating Supply||See coinmarketcap|
|Market Capitalisation||See coinmarketcap|
|Token Creation Date||2011|
|Can it be mined?||Yes|
Who is behind The Sandbox?
Arthur Madrid is the Co-founder and CEO of the Sandbox. He began his career building a P2P delivery platform for Media companies. Then, he sold two software companies before becoming an executive and advisor for startups in gaming, social media and software.
What is the purpose of The Sandbox?
To disrupt existing game makers like Minecraft and Roblox by providing creators with true ownership of their creations as non-fungible tokens (NFTs) and reward them for their participation in the ecosystem.
The Sandbox gaming ecosystem consists of three integrated products: VoxEdit, Marketplace, Game Maker and Game Platform.
- VoxEditor is a free 3D voxel modelling package that allows users to create and animate 3D objects such as people, animals and tools, then export them into The Sandbox marketplace to become game ASSETS (game items).
- Marketplace is Sandbox’s web-based marketplace where users can upload, publish, and sell their creations made with VoxEdit.
- Game Maker allows anyone to build amazing 3D games for free. No coding is required since users can access visual scripting tools to create visually-stunning games in minutes.
- The Game Platform is based on the blockchain which allows all types of users to interact with the platform including players, creators, curators and land owners. The platform consists of several types of token:
- SAND is the ERC-20 token that is used within The Sandbox as the basis for all of the ecosystem’s transactions and interactions.
- LAND is a digital piece of real estate in The Sandbox metaverse. Players can buy, sell or rent the LAND in order to populate it with games, assets and interactive experiences. Each LAND is a unique (non-fungible) token lying on the public Ethereum blockchain (ERC-721) and it already has been sold on the Open Sea website.
- ASSETS are a token created by players who build/assemble user generated content. ASSETS utilize the ERC-1155 standard and can be traded on the marketplace.
SAND Token serves as the basis for transactions within The Sandbox and has the following uses:
- Access The Sandbox platform: Players spend SAND in order to play games, buy equipment or customize their Avatar character and can potentially collect SAND through gameplay. Creators use SAND to acquire ASSETS, LANDS, and through Staking. Artists use SAND to upload ASSETS to the Marketplace and buy Gems for defining Rarity and Scarcity.
- Governance Token: SAND is a governance token that allows holders to participate in Governance decisions of the platform. They can exercise voting rights on key elements such as Foundation grant attributions to content and game creators and feature prioritisation on the platform Roadmap.
- Staking: SAND staking is receiving passive revenues on LANDS: you get more SAND by staking it.
- Fee Capture model: 5% of all transaction volumes, carried out in SAND tokens (Transaction Fees), will be allocated to the Staking Pool as rewards, for token holders that Stake SAND tokens and 50% are allocated to the “Foundation”.
- Foundation: The role of the Foundation is to support the ecosystem of The Sandbox, offering grants to incentivize high quality content & game production on the platform.
- Games Industry based on blockchain may not be adopted in the mass industries since the game technologies and innovations still are either new to the industry or lack of people’s knowledge.
- Certain parts of the infrastructure may be outsourced to third parties. It will probably occur in cyber-attacks, data theft or other unauthorised use of data. Therefore, the Sandbox is supposed to manage risk management cautiously.
News and Updates:
- SAND Token was sold through a $3 million initial exchange offering (IEO) on the Binance Launchpad platform in August 2020. Binance also acquired over 4,000 of its own LAND tokens within The Sandbox metaverse, making it the largest holder of virtual land. It was planned to use this to organize social gaming contests and reward the winning creators.
- The Sandbox has partnered with Asia’s largest virtual world platform, “ZEPETO”. The Sandbox and ZEPETO will each offer a parallel 3D space in their respective virtual world environments, where users can socialize, chat, interact and have fun, while being able to access a series of NFTs for use in The Sandbox featuring ZEPETO game items, equipment and wearables as well as art and decorative assets.
Community & Whitepaper Links
All investment is speculative and involves substantial risk and uncertainty. Investors should understand the nature of digital assets including the terms of return and the risk of assets. We encourage investors to fully understand the assets and the risk associated with them prior to making any investment.
Holochain (HOT) is a 1:1 promise to pay for HoloFuel, a share of distributed computing power in the Holochain network.
The 0x is an open-source, low friction trading protocol allowing stakeholders to securely upgrade its platform without disruption to markets.
Chiliz is the utility token driving Socios.com – the world’s first blockchain powered fan engagement and rewards platform.